Start: Pennal village
Grid Reference: SH 699 004
Distance: 13.2km – 8.3 miles
Grade: Strenuous – A mountain walk, not to be undertaken in poor visibility
Terrain: Tarmac road, firm tracks, woodland, open moorland with boggy, tussocky ground, fields. Route sometimes undefined
Maps: OS Explorer – OL 23
Refreshments: Riverside Hotel, Plas Talgarth restaurant and village shop
1. Start from bridge in the village A and walk away from the main road to follow Wales Coast Path signs up a side road past two large chapels to go out of the village.
2. At a fork turn R and then further on turn R up a forestry track, past a parking area on the L, and keep L at the next 2 forks to cross a bridge. Walk L around the hairpin bend to follow the track uphill, until it bears sharp L in front of a twin telegraph pole.
3. Here turn R down the bank and then L and on across the hillside, going L at the fork, and on up through a woodland, ignoring any turnings on the L before swinging L and down B to reach a forestry track, then turn L to the end of the track. Just inside the trees turn R over a FB, and follow the path uphill and through woods and garden to Maesywerngoch. Go through a gateway into the courtyard and exit through a G on the opposite side, and take the descending access track. Where it swings R continue ahead along signposted path, cross a S and FB, and then follow the path up the hill and on as it veers L at the base of a slope. At a junction next to a wall fragment turn L to reach another forestry track, turning L again to walk downhill to a G and S.
4. Over this and immediately R uphill before bearing L to follow a faint boggy track with clearfell to the R. This gradually closes with the stream on the L to cross over a small FB. Turn L to walk up the bank, then R and on up to cross a forestry track to a steeply ascending path up a firebreak C in the trees.
5. Emerging at the top, go R through a G, and continue along a moorland path D with a fence on your L, around the head of Cwm Breichiau heading for the gap between the 2 hills ahead. Climb a S and walk to the end of the fence. Bear L and contour the side of the hill, before veering L down a faint path which eventually joins a track below and turn L.
6 Where track bends L, turn R to walk down the bank, through a G, and across the field on a faint path to the R of the ridge crest. Go through a gate opening and then bear L uphill towards a waymarker post. Continue in the same direction, to a second and third post E. Drop down half R to find a G and track which descends the LH side of the ridge. Continue down the track until it peters out and then downhill veering slightly to the L to reach another track and follow it down beside the valley, through a G and on with the steam on the L.
7. Where it bends L go up the bank, keeping the fence on your R and continue down through a G, with fence on R to turn R at a track. Go through G, then walk downhill to cross a CG and road bridge and on along lane to join your outward route at 2 and retrace your steps back to the village.