Refine your search
Add to shortlist button.
Also at this Venue
Start: Near Dovey Valley Shooting Centre
Limited car parking
Grid Reference: SH 806 051
Distance: 10 km – 6.2 miles
Grade: Moderate with some steep sections
Terrain: Fields, rough tracks
Maps: OS Explorer - 215
Refreshments: Café at Dyfi Valley shooting range
1. From the post box walk uphill on tarmac lane going sharp R, then keeping L of Daulwyn through a G and up a track. Walk up through 3 Gs to pass Esgair-hyder ruin on your L, then up through another two Gs before turning immediately R along track up through G.
2. Where the path splits turn L uphill through a G, then R to pass a pond on L to go through a G and on to join a clear track. Follow the track through two Gs, then walk L of the conifer trees to go down through a G to reach some outbuildings at Ysgubor Fraithwen. Turn R to reach a tarmac road, then R to go through a G for Cae Adda. Follow the road down over a CG and
further down L over a bridge to walk uphill keeping the farmhouse on your L. Go around its side and then veer R into the farmyard. Keep directly ahead between outbuildings to go through a G on the opposite side of the yard.
3. Walk downhill on track to cross a ford, then walk diagonally L uphill to go through 2 Gs onto a stoney track. At the brow of the hill where the track peters out, turn L and walk across the side of the hill towards the top of a woodland to cross a stream and S.
4. Walk ahead to pass 3 ponds on your R, then veer L uphill to go through two Gs beside a small plantation. As the path starts to peter out, continue ahead veering R, before rejoining the track a little further on to go through a G into Pant y Saeson forest. Walk along the track and take the first turning L next to a waymarker post to follow a path down to the forest boundary. Go through a G and walk ahead to join a track then turn R.
5. Go through a G and follow the raised embankment around the side of the hill, before turning L to go down through a G next to some trees. Walk downhill to go through a G next to some rushes, then continue a short distance before joining a grass track with stream on your R which leads down into the woodland. Follow the track across a stream to go through 3 Gs, then turn L into the farmyard, then R to go through a G to pass the house again.
6. Where the road forks just after the bridge, turn L to go through two Gs to walk along woodland boundary. Where the path splits, keep L and go down through a G, before emerging on a track next to a G. Turn L to retrace your steps.
SH 745008 52.59063 -3.85302
The town of Machynlleth is situated on the main A487 and A489 roads.
There is on-street parking on the main high street as well as a car park located close to the town centre.
It is also served by the train station which is located to the north of the town.
: 0 miles from Machynlleth station