Gregynog Hall is surrounded by 750 acres of grounds containing many different landscapes including Grade 1 listed formal gardens. The Gardener’s Chronicle of 1912 described these as ‘highly artistic and in complete harmony with the natural surroundings’ CADW added ‘one of the most important parks and gardens in Powys, dating from at least 1500’
Early concrete fountains and bridges are surrounded by a mass of Rhododendrons and Azaleas. A magnificent clipped yew hedge and herbaceous borders create a spectacular backdrop to the Hall.
Natural beech woodlands rise above ‘The Dingle’ and the water gardens of ‘The Dell’ display fantastic specimens of long established water marginals. The meandering Bechan Brook flows through the Estate attracting Kingfishers on its way to the Lily Pond.
Ancient Oaks, 300 years old or more, form the Great Wood, designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest for it’s Lichen, whilst magnificent Cedar, Cypress and Copper Beech challenge those found in any Arboretum. The paths along the Wern bottom follow a beautiful shallow valley, with grazing horses, back through to the sunken lawns.
The Estate attracts a diversity of bird life, with too many to be listed here, although summer migrants share the bounty of the grounds with all three British Woodpeckers. The mouse-like Tree Creeper can be spotted amongst the Wellingtonia trees and in the undisturbed snows of winter we find Falcons and Sparrowhawks.
There is a network of colour coded woodland walks, of varying lengths, which weave their way through the Estate and give tantalising views of both the Hall and Montgomeryshire countryside. A number of footpaths link through to neighbouring farmland for the more adventurous.