North-west of Tregaron, the small village of Ystrad Meurig with a population of around 100 is in the upper Teifi Valley some 6 miles from the source of the Teifi and the Teifi Pools and on the B4340 road between Aberystwyth and Pontrhydfendygaid. The village community centre was the local school prior to 1973; originally it was a Grammar School founded in about 1734 which subsequently offered pupils a course which included significant elements of Classics and Divinity providing a basic training for many Welsh language speakers who wished to enter the ordained ministry, one of the few establishments licensed for the purpose by the Bishop of St. David's.
Ystrad Meurig had a station on the Aberystwyth to Carmarthen railway line; it was named Strata Florida after the 12th century Cistercian Abbey near Pontrhydfendygaid. Today much of the route forms the 21 mile long Ystwyth Trail from Aberystwyth to Tregaron. There is a small car park in the former station yard and from here you can walk south along the old railway line to the Cors Caron National Nature Reserve.