1. With the Abbey on your left and the car park on your right, walk down the lane and as it bends left, go straight ahead through a gate. Follow the track ahead alongside a stream and through a gate. Now cross the footbridge and keep straight ahead to follow a sunken track up through the wood. Wooden posts then lead to a gate. Go through this and keep straight ahead for a few paces before bearing right at a waymark, and continuing to a gate that leads into woodland. Keep straight ahead into the wood & when you meet a main forest track, turn left.
2. Continue for a short distance and then turn right onto another narrow path that leads up through the wood to another main track. Bear left onto this and then, as it bends sharp left, keep straight ahead on a rough track that leads to a gate. Go through and bear half left to cross the top of the field, where a barn comes into sight. Head to a gate next to the barn and go through this, and then follow left down a good track into a dip and back up the other side.
Continue through Bryneithinog farm yard and then turn left onto another good track.
3. Follow this to the corner of a wood and then bear half right to cut down through the field to a gate at the bottom. This leads onto open ground. Go through and bear left to keep alongside the fence as far as a stile. Don’t cross this but bear right to drop to the stream. Now follow easy ground alongside the stream until it’s possible to cross. Once over, follow the other
bank upstream, staying with it until you reach a major confluence beneath a steep hillside.
4. Continue over stream aiming uphill to cross the boggy plateau and then bear right to contour around the dryer grassy banks of the hill. Keep your eyes open for a faint path that drops to cross the stream again and now follow a clear but narrow path up the side of the valley with steeper ground to your right and forestry to your left. Continue to level ground, with a fence
ahead, and then bear right to climb the steep hillside to the cairn and trig point Garn Gron.
5. Make your way back towards the wood and the path you just left. Turn right onto this and follow it easily down to a fork. Bear left to stay next to the fence and continue down to a large cairn. Here bear sharp right onto a faint path that leads down into a valley.
6. Cross a stream and contour around to a gate. Go through and keep ahead to join another track and now stay on this for 2 kilometres to the road. Bear left and follow this down to a t-junction, where you turn left again. Now continue all the way down into Tregaron, where you turn left and then left again to the Tregaron Square.
Distance: 15 kilometre/9 miles
Time: 5 hours
Terrain: Rough paths and trackless moorland. Long stretch on
country lane at the end. Navigation would be difficult in poor visibility.
Suitable for: Fit and experienced walkers. Dogs on lead around livestock.
Start: Strata Florida SN745657
Finish: Tregaron SN680597
Public toilets: Strata Florida and Tregaron
Public transport: Weekday morning bus from Tregaron to Pontrhydfendigaid/Local taxi company
Maps: OS Landranger 147; Explorer 187, 199
Parking: Park in Tregaron and catch bus to Pontrhydfendigaid (you will need to walk a short distance to Strata Florida to the start of the walk. Alternatively you can park at Strata Florida, complete the walk, and catch a pre-arranged taxi back to the car).
NOTE: The section of the walk passing through the Bryneithinog forest managed by UPM Tilhill may be closed due to forest operations. All warning signs must be obeyed for your own safety.