• How to combine modules, batteries, inverters, cable sizes, calculate load demands, issues and considerations of off-grid systems.
• Theory and comparison to grid-linked systems.
• Tour of off-grid systems.
• Simple off-grid demo systems will be built in a practical exercise to reinforce the function of the different components and taking a schematic and implementing it into a system.
• You’ll measure IV curves and module efficiency in simple ways that can be useful for field testing.
• We’ll highlight data sources and useful software, including some practical sessions on these.
Please note:- The course is not aimed at training certified installers, but to give designers/maintainers a good insight into the design issues and tradeoffs.
It wouldn't cover exact costs, legislation or available components in particular locations.
There is no single design for a given task, it depends on the aims and importance of elements of the performance.
We would not be able to offer any roof work, or much 'real' system assembly.
The course is about understanding the design approach and methods and we can show examples of components and systems.
This course is designed to be taken after the Introduction to Solar P.V. course the day before as a foundation understanding of PV is required to fully benefit.