Start: Centre for Alternative Technology
(C.A.T) car park
Grid Reference: SH 754 044
Distance: 7.1 km – 4.4 miles
Grade: Moderate (some steep sections)
Terrain: Firm tracks, roads and open grassland
Maps: OS Explorer OL23 or 215
Refreshments: Café at C.A.T, Dwynant pub - Ceinws
1. Walk back to the car park entrance A and turn R up the road to reach a sign for Llwyngwern Farm, then turn R to follow the drive up around the back of the house. Follow track uphill through G, then a second G on your L before walking through 4 consecutive Gs next to a sheep enclosure.
2 Just beyond where the RH fence ends, bear L to follow a faint path uphill. As the path peters out continue to climb upwards veering slightly L around the dome of the hill. When you see the turbine to the R head for it over the brow of the hill. 100 m before you reach a G below the turbine B turn R. Go through a G above a bog on the R, then gradually close with the forestry to reach the LH corner of the field.
3. Turn L through G and follow the fence through another G, keeping L until you reach the top of the bank. As you start to drop down walk past a pond C on your L to reach a sheep enclosure and another marshy pond.
4. Go through Gs to the L of the enclosure, then half L to walk down and through a dip in the hill to reach a G on the woodland boundary. Through G and follow track on round a sharp bend. As the track starts to bear L, turn R next to a waymarked post down the bank to reach a S. Go over it and keep parallel with the LH fence to go through a G on L, then turn sharp
L to walk up through the trees to reach a forestry track junction.
5 Walk directly across the junction and up the track to reach a waymarked post. Turn L to follow a shale path before re-joining the forestry track higher up. Turn L then continue along the track, before turning R at the next junction. When you reach a waymarked post, turn L then R where the path splits to go through a G below a turbine.
6. Retrace your outward steps over the brow of the hill and down heading for the track and fence corner below at 2. Go through a G on L, then walk diagonally downhill to reach a G on the woodland boundary.
7. Go through the G and follow the path down through the woodland (keep away from the quarry D edge to the L) to reach the car park.