Llanarth is an ancient settlement, among the oldest in Ceredigion; set just inland from the Cardigan Bay coast, it is 3 miles south-west of Aberaeron centred on the crossroads formed where the A487 Aberystwyth to Cardigan coast road meets the B4342 to New Quay.
Renovated in 1872, the parish church of St David's is a grade II* listed building. Within the church is an inscribed stone cross, sometimes known as the Cross of Girhurst or the Cross of Girhiret - named after an Irish chieftain of the 9th century. Many gravestones in Llanarth and nearby villages record the fate of sea captains and sailors who sailed out of nearby New Quay and Aberaeron in the 19th century and perished at sea - for example that of Captain A. Enoch of Alma Crescent, Llanarth. Drowned in December 1867, he was Captain of the Brig 'Gertrude' on a voyage from New York to Oporto.
Llanarth Pottery offers the opportunity to watch the busy workshop where all the pots are hand thrown and hand decorated; a choice of pots in many glazes, ranging in size from eggcups to bread crocks, are available.