This gentle four mile walk soon gets you up above Aberdyfi, enjoying fine views over the mouth of the Dyfi estuary and south towards Borth and Aberystwyth.
Starting place: Tourist Information Centre
Starting ref: SN 614959
Distance: 4 Miles miles
Walk time : Allow 2 hours
1. From the Tourist Information Centre walk to the RIGHT, then take the first LEFT into Copperhill Street. Continue up the street, passing under the railway bridge.
2. After the fifth house beyond the railway bridge, take the path to the LEFT, which climbs uphill, and is joined by a path from the right just after No 2 Bryniau - Isaf. Turn sharp RIGHT here and climb steeply up this path. Continue ahead when the path widens and becomes a tarmac road. Continue along the road, passing between houses to join another road.
3. Cross this road, and go through the wooden gate opposite. Turn LEFT, following the direction indicated by the arrow. As you climb, superb coastal views open up. The path follows the edge of the field, climbing gently, then quite steeply, to reach a stile.
4. Cross the stile, and continue with a fence to your left. Cross another stile in the corner of the field, and carry on ahead, to eventually descend to the footpath arrow to the right-hand side of Trefeddian Farm. Cross the small stream by the sign, go through the gate and turn LEFT following the direction indicated to walk around the back of the farm buildings. Go through the way marked gateway, then turn RIGHT passing caravans. After about 15 yards, look down to locate a small footbridge over a stream, with a stile just beyond. Descend to the small stream and cross them both.
5. From the stile, walk ahead, uphill for about 10 yards to reach a small brow, then walk half-LEFT across the field, with a low summit to the right. Soon the handsome, but derelict, stone buildings of Trefeddian-fach come into view. Walk past these and continue ahead, following the path between low summits. The path joins a track. Turn LEFT to reach a tarmac lane, which you follow down through Cwm Safn-ast.
6. Now pass though a gate, opposite the cemetery, turn LEFT and go through a gate to reach the coast road. Cross the road, veering slightly RIGHT, to go down way marked track to the railway. Pass through the gates and CAREFULLY cross the railway, looking and listening for trains. Continue along the track to a T junction. You are now on Aberdyfi Golf Course, so watch out for fast moving golf balls. OPTION 1 – (Watchout for golf balls on this one!) Turn LEFT at the path junction, following the track until it veers away to the right. At this point continue ahead, keeping parallel with the railway. Eventually you join another track. Follow this, ignoring the first way marked sign to the left, which points across the railway (now go to instruction 7). OPTION 2 – (Recommened for amazing sea views) Continue ahead to cross a wooden walkway to the beach. Turn LEFT to return to Aberdyfi/Aberdovey along the beach, lookout for the old WW2 pill box on the way.
7. Option 1 - Just beyond the Trefeddian Hotel, which is over the railway and road to your left, you will see a railway level crossing. Turn left and follow the track to the crossing, again looking and listening for trains. Join the main road and turn RIGHT to return to the Tourist Information Centre.
Please follow the Countryside Code at all times and look after this special part of the world.
This walk is published by ‘Kittiwake Books - Walks in the Dyfi Valley by David Perrott’
ISBN: 978 1 902302 76 8